Updates and Celebrations of Success
- Congratulations to Andreas Rauterkus for his outstanding performance in teaching Financial Decision Making and being awarded the Graduate Teaching Excellence Award.
- Congratulations also to Nima Zaerpour for an Honorable Mention of Best Application Paper in the IISE Transactions Focus Issue on Design and Manufacturing for 2018. The award is selected by an examining committee from all papers published from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
- MIS Student Nathaniel Garcia was awarded a $5,000 scholarship from SIM San Diego and presented by California State Assembly member Todd Gloria at the 2018 San Diego Technology Executive Leadership Summit.
- CoBA alumna Kristin Elliott, CEO and Founder of Aquasend, Inc. and General Manager, Precision Measurement Engineering, is a finalist in the SDBJ Business Women of the Year Awards 2018.
- There is a nice article in the San Diego Business Journal about CoBA alum Nathan Leathers, President of Green Guard Services, who was our alumni highlight in the most recent blog post.
- We are delighted to welcome two new tenure-track faculty for fall 2019. Below at left is Serhan Kotiloglu who is completing his Ph.D. at Stevens Institute of Technology. Serhan’s research interests include innovation, entrepreneurship, opportunity creation, discovery of knowledge and behavioral theory. Below at right, Paola Ometto who is completing her Ph.D. at the University of Alberta. Paola’s research interests include social and cultural entrepreneurship, social enterprises, and corporate social responsibility. Our faculty rock!
- In case you missed them, there were nearly two dozen news articles and TV appearances showing significant revenue growth for independent brewers in San Diego with $1.1 billion in economic output to the region. These stemmed from the CoBA Office of Business Research & Analysis, in collaboration with the San Diego Brewers Guild. Kudos to Ed Ashley, Ranjeeta Basu (CHABSS/Economics), and Ann Fiegen (Library) and their team.
Learning and Fun
- Below: We had nearly three hundred attendees at our second Fall 2018 Business Etiquette Dinner, part of our Business Professional Development Program. Elegantly led by our etiquette expert Elaine Swann and our many community partner tables hosts. Special thanks to Jill Laing for all of her hard work organizing, our many community partner table hosts, and Paige Kepley for execution.
- Below: Good attendance at the Global Supply Chain Management Society’s 5th Annual Alumni Spotlight and Networking Event with alumni panelists Kelly Kinsman, Buyer at Zodiac Pool Systems; Taylor Ambrose, Manager in Training at J.B Hunt; Valerie Gorbushin, Inventory Specialist at General Atomics; Jordan Sieger, Logistics Program Analyst at Viasat; and Torey Roberts, Business Solutions Associate at National Express LLC.
- Below: The First CalSHRM Student Summit and Case Competition hosted at CSUSM with teams from all over California. Special thanks to Nina Woodard for championing the event, soliciting teams and judges, and running the event.
- Below: Our staff white elephant gift exchange with kudos to Yvonne Villalobos for planning and execution.
- Below: Some goofy photos from our faculty and staff holiday party. Special thanks to Yvonne Villalobos for planning and also to Whitney Steffler, Casey Green, Jennifer Martin, and Denisse Tirado for decorations and helping. Amazing dessert award winners were Jennifer Martin (presentation) and Paige Kepley (taste). More photos of the event to come.
- Below: Our staff appreciation Halloween luncheon at Urge.
- Below: Markstein Hall stays beautiful because of facilities services staff Elijah Pauser (center); Elijah cares as much about our building’s appearance as we do. Well known across the campus, Elijah received the Zomalt Outstanding Service Award in 2015. We’d like to keep him for ourselves, 😁 but he is a University-wide asset.
Nathaniel Keifer-Wheals is a 2009 CoBA Cum Laude MIS alum and now a Senior Business Analyst at Covance Pharmaceuticals. Nathaniel served on the CoBA Chapter Alumni Board for many years, most recently as President, and is now President of the University Alumni Association and also serves on the University Foundation Board. Congratulations to Nathaniel as a recipient of the 2018 Volunteer of the Year Award at the North County Philanthropy Council luncheon.