- Engaging meeting with Ken Markstein, the benefactor of our college building, to update him on college progress and changes.
Save the date: We hope to hold a 10 year anniversary celebration of the opening of Markstein Hall, tentatively scheduled for April 27, 2016.
- Good meeting with the Finance & Administrative Services Leadership Council to discuss reserve funds for the college, alternative corporate formations to enable public/private partnerships, and, you guessed it, parking for guests.
- Lots of evening events this week. Monday with the CoBA Alumni Council, Tuesday the Faculty Appreciation Banquet, Wednesday the Economics of Water: Fresh Perspectives on California’s Water Future, and Thursday the GSCM Society Second Annual Alumni Spotlight and Networking Event.
- I am still speaking to any GEL 101 class that will have me. This week I spoke to non-business students and was encouraged by their energy and enthusiasm, at 7 am in the morning, no less.
Celebration of Successes:
- Congratulations to Kristin Stewart and Rebeca Perren for the recognition received in the article “Stacked Against Statistics: PhD Project Professors Aim to Inspire the Next Generation of Business Leaders“.
- Another successful popular press article: “Rudeness Contagion: Office Jerk Is Costly to All” by Kim McCarthy in the San Diego Business Journal.
- Yet one more, one I missed earlier highlighting our own Alan Styles and Lee Brown: “Relieving the Drought for Water Resource Professionals“.
- New advertising is coming. Below: Coming soon to a Highway 78 sign near you:
There were eight alumni that spoke at the GSCM Society Second Annual Alumni Spotlight and Networking Event. Alumni and companies represented included: Chris Edwards (General Atomics), Jacob Roth (Gunnar Optics), Curtis Chapman (Liberty Wood International), Olesia Litvin (Pilot Freight Services), John McQuade (Samsung), Jaroslaw Chocholowski (Solar Turbine), Jeff Columbus and Matt Pierce (ViaSat), and Alex Dietz (Watkins Manufacturing).
While we are on the subject of active and supportive alumni, below our monthly CoBA Alumni Chapter meeting.