Mostly preparatory items for the start of the new academic year!
- Thanks to those of you that were able to attend the 2016 CoBAcation at McMahan House (photo credit Whitney Frasier).
- Thanks to Jill Laing for a very successful all day Student Leadership Retreat on August 24 at the Green Dragon Tavern in Carlsbad. This Olympic-inspired event complete with CoBAlympic Competitions was our first. It brought together the student leaders of our 12+ CoBA Student Organizations and our faculty for a day of learning about leadership, resiliency, planning for organizational success, friend and fund-raising, and collaborative planning among the clubs. Photo below.
- LPL Financial has been a strong and consistent sponsor of our students through their scholarships, funding of events and programs (e.g. BPD), training and mentoring, as well as hiring our graduates. This past Sunday they hosted a professional networking and mentoring event at the San Diego Convention Center. Thanks to Pam Wells of the Career Center and Jill Laing for their coordination efforts. In spring, LPL held their annual professional networking event for CoBA students at their offices.
Featured photo on CoBA faculty for an upcoming ad in INSIGHT into Diversity Magazine (photo credit Whitney Frasier). Attractive group, don’t you think? All investors in our students’ future successes.
- For those that attended CoBAcation and saw my Venn diagram imaging failure, here is a properly rendered version of my planned division of time this coming academic year (Year Two) compared to my first year. Rather than repeat in narrative form here, see me if you need an explanation.
Michael Flores is a 2007 CoBA Accounting graduate and currently an accounting manager for WGN America, a TV channel owned by Tribune Media. Michael credits much of his success to the accounting program and our Accounting Society. You can read more about Michael in a recently published article
Remember that name and this face: Michael Flores.
Fall 2016 Events
- CoBA Alumni Chapter Campus Tour & Happy Hour
Thursday, Sept. 8, 6 – 8 PM Markstein Plaza
- CoBA Meet & Greet
Tuesday, Sept. 20 & Thursday, Sept. 22, 12 – 1 PM (u-hour) Markstein 125 & Plaza
- Emerging Business Concepts & Applications: Business Dynamics of Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities for Local Enterprises
Thursday, Sept. 29, 5:30 – 7:30 PM McMahan House
- Student Recognition Breakfast
Friday, Oct. 14, 8:00 – 9:30 AM Shadowridge Golf Club
- Taste for Student Success
Presented by Tri-City Medical Center
Saturday, Oct. 22, 3:00 – 6:00 PM
- CLIMB Leadership Seminar: Mindful Leadership
Friday, Oct. 28, 7:30 – 9:30 AM McMahan House
- CoBA Alumni Chapter Mixer
Thursday, Nov. 17, 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Ballast Point Brewing (Miramar)
- Senior Experience Trade Show
Thursday, Dec. 15
Business Reception & Trade Show 5:30 – 8:30 PM
CA Center for the Arts, Escondido
- Please plan to join us at the upcoming CoBAcation on Thursday, August 25 at the McMahan House. We will start with a luncheon (provided) at 11:30 am followed by an All-Hands Meeting from 12:45 -1:30 pm. If you have not already done so, please RSVP here. We will have a photographer to take professional head shots of faculty and staff as well as a group photo. Business professional attire, whites, blacks and blue preferred.
- Jill Laing is nearly ready to launch our greatly expanded Business Professional Development Program this fall for ~275 second year students; next fall, first year transfer students will be added to the program. We have also secured eight exceptional volunteer Executives in Residence who will coach our students throughout the year. Consider joining us for the September 7 BPD Kick-Off which promises to be a very high energy event, 5:30 – 8 pm at the USU (RSVP here).
- We would appreciate faculty attending the upcoming Campus Tour & Happy Hour with the Dean and Faculty sponsored by CoBA and the CoBA Alumni Association. It takes place Thursday September 8 from 6 – 8 pm at Markstein Plaza. Please let Carrie Smith know if you can attend.
- At my request, Carrie Smith has drafted a CoBA Marketing Plan that identifies our many constituent groups and suggested touchpoints. Carrie will be reaching out to faculty for input on development of the document, for those of you who would like to be involved.
- Ed Ashley has been creative at forming inter-college Senior Experience teams, many of them extraordinarily successful, to the point where we have reached a limit to the number we can reasonably support. It is time for our partner colleges to seriously consider cloning our program. Ed is also starting hybrid MBA/undergraduate mixed teams with an MBA lead team member and four undergraduate students for select projects. On an experimental basis, Ed has secured funding for a non-profit fall project from an external foundation, leading to new possibilities for funding our projects.
- We have five tenure track searches underway, Accounting (Financial Accounting), Marketing (Sales and CRM), Management (Entrepreneurship), Management (Global Business), and Operations and Supply Chain Management (Business Analytics and Big Data Analytics).
- Following excellent work by the AA-Team, our AACSB iSER (Initial Self Evaluation Report) was submitted in June. The review requested changes that will be submitted by late December.
- Many new sponsorships of CoBA events and new corporate partners were developed this summer thanks to Kelly Briggs and staff in Advancement.
- Added five new CoBA Advisory Board members for a total of twenty, all wanting to contribute to the success of our students. I have many more “lined-up” but room capacity is becoming a limiting factor!
- We will continue our Weekly All Hands meetings this semester starting at 12:04 pm on Mondays in the dean’s suite area and promise to finish in eleven minutes or less. Coffee and snacks provided as usual.
- My blog will continue, but perhaps on a less frequent basis. Still reading? Be the first to respond with the name of our EIR that is a former amateur world cycling champion and win a small prize.
Celebrations of Success
Please join me in congratulating Drs. Fang Fang and Yi Sun for their promotion to Full Professor and Drs. Catalin Ratiu and Qi Sun for their promotion to Associate Professor. Additional congratulations to Drs. Camille Schuster and Alan Omens for their conferral of the title of Professor Emeritus.
Mark Shafer is a 2015 CoBA MBA graduate and is currently a Key Account Manager at Analog Devices. Mark has held business development and marketing positions at numerous firms and was the team lead of the very successful Southern California International Airport Exploratory Study 3.0.
Remember that name and this face: Mark Shafer.