- Lots of tenure track interviews under way, five candidates in the past two weeks with many more coming. Numerous other interviews of potential lecturers, EIR’s, and campus diversity advocates (CDO/AVP DEEIO).
- Participated as a judge for the Advisor of the Year Awards held at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology. The large number of entries and 17 award categories are in segments of advisors serving middle-market owners in the sale, expansion, or re-capitalization of their companies. It has been a few years since I’ve been part of so much activity and active agents in the M&A community.
- Attended the GameChangers: Women in the C-Suite session where San Diego’s most successful women business owners discussed their rise to executive ranks in traditional male industries (professional sports, law enforcement, high-technology/aerospace, and craft brewing).
Celebrations of Success
- Good turnout at our annual Taste for Student Success including the Alumni Mixer immediately beforehand (below). Thanks to event coordinator Carrie Smith and staff and students for running a successful event. Planning underway for the 2017 event on Saturday October 21, 2017, mark your calendars.
- Excellent community presence and spirited discussions at the CLIMB event on Mindful Leadership with Shannon Jordan and Christy Cassisa from the UCSD Center for Mindfulness.
- CoBA’s Holiday Party: 5:30 – 7:30 pm on Friday, December 2. Please RSVP if you have not already done so.
- Fall Business Reception (5:30 – 7:00 pm) and Senior Experience Trade Show (7:00 – 8:30 pm): Tuesday, December 15.
Patricia Wood is a 2008 CoBA graduate. Patricia is a Luxury Property Specialist at Pacific Sotheby’s International Realty. Remember that name and this face: Patricia Wood.
- Our third in our faculty series Emerging Business Concepts and Applications Series featured a faculty presentation by Dr. Catalin Ratiu on Business Dynamics of Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities for Local Enterprises. Dr. Ratiu was joined by Marcos Bosquetti, Professor of Management, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, Brazil, our own William Byun, Principal, Conchubar Fund, and Monte Montefusco, Director of Sales, Taylor Guitars.
- Successful visit with the AACSB Director of Accreditation Services and our mentor at the AACSB Conference in Minneapolis (team photo below).
- Jim attended an all CSU business deans meeting in Seattle over the weekend. Major topics included:
Celebrations of Success
- We celebrated the promotions of Dr. Catalin Ratiu and Dr. Qi Sun to associate professor with tenure, and Dr. Fang Fang and Dr. Yi Sun to full professor at the Promotion and Tenure Reception at McMahan House. Please join me in congratulating Cata, Qi, Fang Fang and Yi.
- We are delighted that we have received a verbal acceptance of our offer to tenure-track faculty candidate Marcus Wardley in the department of Marketing. Marcus is completing his Ph.D. at the University of Oregon, and will assume his position in fall 2017. Please join me in congratulating and welcoming him to our college and University. We have five other active searches underway.
- Our students that made the spring 2016 dean’s list were honored at this morning’s Student Recognition Breakfast. Keynote speaker and Executive in Residence Michael Marckx provided motivational advice to our students.
- Below: A subset of our women faculty enjoying lunch together!
Chris Curby is a CoBA Finance graduate who is the owner of Curby’s Nursery, a wholesale family nursery located in Temecula. Remember that name and this face: Chris Curby.