- Yesterday morning President Haynes presented her 13th annual Report to the Community with over 600 community members in attendance (summary video here). It continues to be an ideal event to introduce prospective and new CoBA partners to the University. CoBA had ~40 invited guests in addition to many partners who attended the event under their own organization.
- We have three open faculty searches (Accounting, Finance, and OSCM/Business Analytics) and, as a reminder, we have four new faculty joining us this fall:
- Linying “Jolynn” Zhou, Accounting
- Sam Clarke, Management/Entrepreneurship
- Eric Rhodes, Management/GBM
- Marcus Wardley, Marketing/Sales
- Yvonne Villalobos has joined the deans’ suite supporting us while Eve is out. Potential replacement candidates for Yvonne’s position in Advising are being interviewed.
- We re-started our CoBA weekly all hands meetings (Mondays at 12:04 pm in the dean’s suite) and ended our 11-minute meeting with a highly competitive game of fibbage. Our engaged participants and award winners are shown below.
Celebrations of Success
- One each of our MBA and Senior Experience projects received quite a few accolades for the work they did on a financial analysis and expansion scenarios for the Del Mar Fairgrounds (Don Sciglimpaglia, Glen Brodowsky). Another project drawing acclaim was San Diego: The Napa Valley of Craft Beers (David Grooms and Todd Colburn).
- Our Student Success Grants are an excellent opportunity for students to add to their professional development outside of class, and we encourage your students to apply. Trina Mabunay, one of our more engaged students (GBM-Marketing), applied for a Student Success Grant to attend the Adobe Max Conference. She learned quite a bit, as is evident by this video she created.
- Carrie Smith has been successful in growing the Taste for Student Success to be a University-wide annual event starting this fall. She has assembled a team from all of the academic colleges and the library to participate in planning and execution. Each college will decide how their respective revenues will be used to promote the student success programs within their organization.
- We are proud of the value added to our students by the focus of the Global Supply Chain Management Society on alumni and professional connections. Shown below is the Alumni Spotlight & Networking Event hosted by the student club and faculty.
- It is always an honor to award the members of Ron Gerevas’ Career Development class (4 of 46 students, below). These students leave this class much better prepared and with a plan for their professional careers.
This Semester’s Upcoming Events
- Tuesday, February 7 – CoBA Meet & Greet (Departments) in Markstein 125
- Thursday, February 9 – CoBA Meet & Greet (Student Orgs) in Markstein 125
- Thursday, February 9 – CoBA Alumni Networking Mixer at Rip Current, 6-8 pm
- Tuesday, February 28 – CLIMB Presents: A Conversation with Malin Burnham, 5:30 – 7:30 PM McMahan House, registration required.
- Thursday, March 9 – Student & Alumni Speed Networking Event, 6-8 pm McMahan House
- Wednesday, April 5 – Professional Mentor Program Wrap-Up Event, 6 – 8 pm Stone Brewing Escondido
- Friday, April 14 – Student Recognition Breakfast, 8 – 9:30 am, place TBD.
- Thursday, April 21 – Kim McCarthy, “Civility in the workplace and its influence on organizational culture”, as our next Emerging Business Concepts & Applications Series, 7:30 – 9:30 am McMahan House
- Tuesday, May 15 – Business Reception and Senior Experience Trade Show
Kristin Elliott is a graduate of our MBA Program and the CEO of Precision Measurement Engineering, an internationally known oceanographic and freshwater instrument design corporation. Kristin very recently received San Diego’s “Top 40 under 40” award as well as San Diego Business Journal’s Women who Mean Business Award.
This month Kristin is launching a second business, Aquasend, which provides real-time water quality sensors and instantaneous management software to managers of aquaculture farms.
Remember that name and this face: Kristin Elliott.