This week our student club leaders attended the half-day Leadership Training Retreat at Green Dragon Tavern led by Jill Laing with planning help from several of our alumni (Gelareh Shafiei Taylor, Quyun Pham, Madison Walker), students (Vanessa Pina, Josefina Medina) and attendance by several of our faculty (Rebeca Perren, Syed Zaidi). Thanks to our keynote speaker, Heidi McLaughlin, on Overcoming Fear.
Did you miss CoBAcation 2017? Thanks to Yvonne Villalobos for the theme, food, and arrangements and to Amara Weber for photography.
If you were not around much of the summer, you may have missed the hard work by our staff superheroes!
Brian Platzer is a recent MIS graduate who completed a Daimler internship under Cata Ratiu. Brian recently accepted a position with Daimler Financial Services in Stuttgart, in their IT Department with a focus on web analytics.
Remember that name and this face, Brian Platzer.
- This coming Thursday, August 24: CoBAcation with lunch provided from 11 am on the Markstein Patio followed by our all-college meeting at 12:15 pm in MARK 106. RSVP’s are required, and if you have not done so, you can do so here: RSVP. Expect our annual group photograph to be taken between the lunch and all-college meeting. CoBAcation follows the University-wide Convocation in the USU Ballroom with breakfast at 9 am, and the program at 10 am.
- Save the date: Upcoming fun event, help us welcome our new faculty and staff: CoBA Team Building Bowling at URGE Gastropub and Common House 1:30 pm – 4 pm Friday, September 29.
- Save the date: CoBA Holiday Party 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm Friday, December 1 at the Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club, with a guest, spouse, or significant other.
Welcome to our new faculty and staff!
|Samuel Clarke joins the Department of Management from the University of Hawaii at Manoa where he received his Ph.D. in Entrepreneurship and Strategy. Sam’s office is Markstein 349.
Fun fact: Samuel is bilingual in English and Russian. One of Sam’s hobbies is molecular gastronomy.
|Denisse Fernandez joins us as the Director of MBA Operations. Most recently, Denisse was Director of Marketing for PC Synergy. You may also recall Denisse as a recruitment assistant in the MBA office while earning her MBA in CoBA.
Fun fact: Denisse is a chamber choir soprano as well as a runner, having completed two half-marathons.
|Majid Karimi joins the Department of Operations and Supply Chain Management from the University of Waterloo where he received his Ph.D. in Management Sciences. Majid’s office is Markstein 437.
Fun fact: Majid’s favorite book is Thinking, Fast and Slow.
|Andreas Rauterkus joins the Department of Finance from the University of Cincinnati where he received his Ph.D. in Finance. Andreas’ office is Markstein 326.
Fun fact: Played and coached soccer. Worked in intelligence during his time in the Navy.
|Eric Rhodes joins the Department of Management from the University of Hawaii where he received his Ph.D. in International Management. Eric’s office is Markstein 350.
Fun fact: Conversationally fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
|Marcus Wardley joins the Department of Marketing from the University of Oregon where he recently completed his Ph.D. in Marketing. Marcus’ office is Markstein 360.
Fun fact: Marcus has his charter sailing qualifications and would like to sail around the world.
|Jacqui Wise is the new receptionist in our Advising Office.
Fun facts: Jacqui has two-year-old fraternal twins. She claims she attended UCSB only for the weather and studied English/Creative Writing. She landed her first job through a lottery.
|Linying “Jolynn” Zhou joins the Department of Accounting from the University of Texas where she received her Ph.D. in accounting. Jolynn’s office is Markstein 434.
Fun fact: Jolynn enjoys hiking and baking in her spare time.
- Hedayat Alibeiki who accepted our offer to join the Department of Operations and Supply Chain Management will delay his arrival until spring 2018.
- Search efforts are underway for a Marketing and Events Coordinator to replace Carrie Smith as well as a Development Officer in Advancement to replace Kelly Briggs.
Celebrations of Successes
- Congratulations to Kristin Stewart for winning the “Valuing Diversity New Faculty Research Grant” at the American Marketing Association Conference. Rebeca Perren was a grant winner in 2016.
- Congratulations to Ed Ashley and Jocelyn Wyndham for securing a $225,000 gift to establish the Burnham Leadership Experience, a program under the umbrella of the College of Business Administration’s (CoBA) Senior Experience Program.
- Lots of media mentions and press about our faculty and programs this summer. Vassilis Dalakas takes the lead with six popular press articles. The popular press faculty incentive program is being continued for AY 2017-18.
- In conjunction with the San Diego Business Journal, we have published Diffusion Indices for Business Confidence, the Craft Beer Industry, with more indicators in development or now underway.
- We have a great lineup of business and community speakers for this fall’s “In the Executive’s Chair.” Tuesdays from10 am – noon in Markstein 125. I make it a point to attend as many as possible.
- We have grown our Executives in Residence program to fifteen strong, each of who have committed to coaching in our Business Professional Development Program. Starting this fall, this program is required of all incoming sophomores and transfer students. Additionally, our optional Professional Mentoring Program is extended beyond juniors and seniors to be available to all of our MBA students.
Martin Suarez is a 2013 Summa Cum Laude CoBA graduate in Marketing and is currently a director of Marketing at ESET, a pioneer of antivirus protection and award-winning threat detection software.
Why do I include the alumni highlight? You all have invested in some way in the lives of our alumni, and it is encouraging and heartwarming to see some of the successes they have achieved.