Updates: Lots of events this past week. Here are some highlights:
- Tuesday night’s successful event sponsored by CSM and CLIMB: Cybersecurity in the Age of Espionage. Guest speaker Eric O’Neill is an American former FBI counter-terrorism and counterintelligence operative.
- An enjoyable time was had by all at our Team Building Event held at Urge in San Marcos. Below: Team One celebrates Rebecca’s great score!
- Below: Highest scoring team award, Team Four (Jeff Green, Janet Morris, Jeff Kohles, and Jolynn Zhou. No expense was spared to provide meaningful trophies!
- Below: Winners who achieved an exact targeted score (Nima Zaerpour, Maia Farkas, Yvonne Villalobos, Eve McElrath, and Vassilis Dalakas).
- Below: First-time bowlers Majid Karimi, Rebecca Perren, and Maia Farkas. Majid exceeded his estimated scoring with an 84-point improvement, followed by Yvonne Villalobos with a 37-point improvement.
- Don’t forget to register for our Taste for Student Success event Saturday, October 21! Early bird 2-for-1 General Admission ends tonight, but there are discounted tickets for faculty and staff. Get your tickets here. 100% of proceeds benefit student success programs.
Frederik Jahr is a 2016 CoBA graduate and currently a member of the Tyrving Track Club, the premium professional club in Norway. As a high jumper at CSUSM, he was an All American and also won the Dr. Hal Charnofsky Memorial Award (NCAA) for academic and athletic achievement. Frederik also started as a management trainee in August 2016 at REMA 1000, Norway’s largest grocery retailer. Within the year he was promoted to HR Manager, and now has responsibility for recruiting for 600 stores and 14 regional offices, as well as responsible for training and internal communications for their 11,000 employees.
Remember that name and this face: Frederik Jahr.
- Tickets are now on sale for Taste for our Student Success event, 3 PM – 6PM on Saturday, October 21. This is our major annual fundraiser with all proceeds going to support student success programs. Guests enjoy samples from local wineries, breweries, restaurants, and other exhibitors. Click below and please select “College of Business Administration: Student Success Grant Program” as the association/college you would like your contribution to benefit. Additionally, CoBA faculty and staff are invited to the CoBA Alumni Association event that starts at 2 PM.
|Please join me in welcoming Paige Kepley as CoBA's new Marketing and Events coordinator. She will be starting this coming Monday, September 25.|
Paige is a 2013 CoBA graduate with several years of experience as an event manager and marketing coordinator. Paige's office will be located in Markstein 422.
- Thank you to the following faculty serving on numerous University committees important to our college and the University:
- Alan Styles: Technology Policy and Advisory Committee
- Bruce Rich: Promotion and Tenure Committee
- Emily Tarr: Student Affairs Committee
- Glen Brodowsky: State-wide Academic Senate and Faculty Affairs Committee, CSU Executive Committee
- Qi Sun: University Curriculum Committee
- Raj Pillai: Promotion and Tenure Committee
- Wenyuh Tsai: Nominations, Elections, Appointments, & Constitution Committee (NEAC)
- Yi Sun: co-chair of the Budget and Long Term Committee
- Our Academic Senators: Kevin Hee, Kristin Stewart, Maia Farkas, Qi Sun, Rebecca Perren and Syed Zaidi.
- We had a successful annual kickoff of our Professional Mentoring Program at Stone Brewing in Escondido, organized by Jill Laing. Thanks to Steve Wagner (second from left, below) for hosting the annual kickoffs and end-of-year wrap-up events for the fifth year.
- Below: Your CoBA staff enjoying lunch together!
Celebrations of Success:
- The hiring of Stacy Slagor as our director of development; read the article here.
- Congratulation to Don Sciglimpaglia for the successful completion of numerous marketing projects for numerous North County arts agencies as part of his newly-developed FEMBA class, Customer and Consumer Insight. Read some of the press garnered here.
Jayrell Ringpis is a 2012 CoBA alumnus with entrepreneurial blood in his veins. A community organizer and national facilitator for Startup Weekend, Jayrell is the founder of Snoice with his wife Dianne. Snoice serves high-quality, fully customizable interpretations of Taiwanese-inspired shaved snow, Filipino-inspired halo-halo, and the ever-popular milk tea with Boba. Snoice was launched as a Kickstarter Project to demonstrate how talent from an underprivileged neighborhood can collaborate to overcome adversity in Paradise Hills/southeast San Diego.
Remember that name and this face: Jayrell Ringpis.
- The academic year has started off very well. New fresh faces all around campus. We had record attendance at our Meet and Greet events for students.
Below: Faculty Meet and Greet on 9/12:
- Below: Student club Meet and Greet on 12/14:
- Below: Grant and Julie Wright, of Wright On Communications speaking to In the Executive’s Chair on 9/12. Julie and Grant are longtime friends of the college and the University and continue to build a very successful PR business, recently expanding with a new Los Angeles office.
- We had successful interviews of candidates for the Marketing and Events coordinator and have extended an offer to a very capable individual. Thanks to interview team members Yvonne Villalobos, Jill Laing, Vassilis Dalakas, and Ed Ashley. More to announce soon!
Celebrations of Success:
Tuesday evening we celebrated the graduation of students from our Certificate in Water Management & Leadership Program. We had strong attendance by regional water district managers and leaders who also provided leadership and curriculum for the program.
A.J. van de Ven is a 2004 CoBA and Computer Science graduate and recent graduate of our Certificate in Water Management & Leadership Program. A.J. is President at Calsense, a manufacturer of smart irrigation solutions for government entities including municipalities, counties, universities, and departments of transportation. Both CSUSM and SDSU are among the customers using Calsense systems.
A.J. will be speaking In the Executive’s Chair on Tuesday, October 3 from 10 am until noon. Come and say hello!
Remember that name and this face: A.J. van de Ven.
- Congratulations to all faculty and staff for a good starting two weeks of the fall semester. It is good to have everyone back on campus!
- Photo below: Your AACSB Assessment team hard at work.
- Per our changes in Governance, our new Operations team and Strategy team replace the original Leadership team and now meet regularly. The Strategy team is developing a 10-year plan with the following six draft areas of focus; I welcome any and all well-thought out contributions to our effort.
|I am delighted to announce that Stacy Slagor has accepted a position in Advancement supporting the College of Business Administration. Stacy has experience in major, corporate, and foundation fundraising as well large, comprehensive universities.||
Students got a chance to meet our Executives in Residence during two evenings of speed networking at tables arranged around the USU Ballroom.
- Did you know about our own Yvonne Villalobos’ connection with the Prohoroff Poultry Farm before it became CSUSM? Read the article here about our now famous Villalobos family!
Below: Yvonne with her father Arturo Villalobos, Aunt Hilda Garcia, and Alex Perkins, Yvonne’s cousin, who works on campus in Event and Conference Services.
- Attended the 2017 Venture Summit to re-visit the state of new venture funding in San Diego. The audience was approximately 1/3 investors, 1/3 entrepreneurs, and 1/3 service providers. Keynote speaker Bill Maris is the founder and first CEO of Google Ventures.
- Below: Just in case you missed our start-of-year CoBAcation, some additional photos of the event.
CoBA graduate Erik Groset and CEO of Fantasy Sports Co. was recently chosen as a finalist at the John G. Watson Quick Pitch Competition, the largest competition of its kind in San Diego. Erik is well known as the co-founder of Zipbuds never tangle earphones. Zipbuds manufactures and sells premium earphones with noise-canceling microphone and remote, Bluetooth wireless earphones, as well as conventional headphones and studio-quality headphones. Eric was also recognized as an Empact100 under 30 Entrepreneur at the White House in 2011 (2-minute video of Erik).
Sam Clarke and I are planning to attend, it’s my 10th, and our Entrepreneurship Society Quick Pitch event is modeled after this event. Let us know if you’d like to join us or register here. The event is from 5 pm to 9:30 pm on October 5th at the Irwin M. Jacobs Qualcomm Hall, 5775 Morehouse Drive, San Diego, CA 92121.
Remember that name and this face: Erik Groset.