Welcome back, faculty and staff. By the time you have read this, you will have completed your first week of the spring semester!
|Welcome to new faculty member Hedayat Alibeiki, who joined the Department of Operations and Supply Chain Management from McGill University, where he received his Ph.D. in Operations Management. Hedayat’s office is Markstein 454.
Fun fact: Hedayat is trilingual in English, Farsi, and French.
We have one open faculty search underway (in Accounting) with our first candidate visiting on Friday, February 9. Please plan to join me in attending his research presentation at noon in Markstein Hall 104.
We have four new Executives in Residence starting with us this semester: (left-to-right below) and are up to sixteen total, all exceptionally committed to our students:
- David Berry, Founder & Principal, RULE13 Learning, LLC; you may know David as one of our lecturers.
- Bob Reif, Executive Director of San Diego Sports Innovators.
- Lauren Tanny, CEO of The Tannywood Group, Inc., and
- Charlie Martin, Performance Development Coach and founder of Think Change.
- The start of our In the Executive’s Chair series this coming Tuesday, 10 am, in Markstein Hall 125, with guest Edward Scarpelli, President of Western Mutual Development Corporation. You can also see the spring speaker lineup here.
- Please encourage your students to attend the CoBA Meet & Greet with faculty (Tuesday, February 6) and student organizations (Thursday, February 8), both at noon in Markstein Hall 125.
|Our CLIMB Event Thursday, March 1 at 7:30 am in the McMahan House with guest speaker Ed Jenks. Ed is the author of "CEO Point Blank: Straight Talk for CEOs, Business Owners, and Entrepreneurs.
Ed was a recent guest "In the Executives Chair" and will not disappoint you!
Celebrations of success:
- Lots of CoBA recognition recently in the press, namely:
- Faculty member Vassilis Dalakas was highlighted for his study on “Navigating the Minefield of Social Media Comments.”
- CoBA student Jeff Mata in the “Business Student Can’t Be Held Down.” This blind but accomplished athlete earned his third gold medal in October at the Jiu-Jitsu Federation World Championships. If you haven’t met Jeff, I encourage you to do so; he is a bundle of passion and determination.
- CoBA students Kevin Dunwell, Randall Brady, Timothy Bynum, Daniel Goodman, Kaitlyn Prideaux and Tiffany Linney in “Senior Experience Project Examines CSUSM’s Economic Impact.” Their research reported that the University is fueling more than $458 million into the region each year and supporting thousands of jobs in a wide range of industries.
- CoBA students from three Senior Experience teams received top billing in “Gift From Burnham Benefits Nonprofits and Students.”
- CoBA alumna Denise Gurule in “Alumna Finds Renewed Purpose as CFO.”
- Executive in Residence and CoBA Advisory Board member Misti Cain in “Mentoring Others at the Top of Her List.” Both Jill Laing and I are so impressed with the work Misti has done with our students.
- We scored three different interviews on BISTalk Radio on ESPN (Sam Clarke, Emilie Hersh, and Jim Hamerly) with host Bob Ryun.
- Jill Laing held her spring student club organization retreat with nearly 60 student participants. The retreat focuses on learning more about leadership development, cross-club collaboration, transition management and last but not least, fun, as shown below!