- The BUS 300 course (formerly the Business Professional Development Program) was approved by the faculty and the Academic Senate. A minimum of seven sessions are being offered in fall 2018. Below: Monthly feedback session with our Executives in Residence along with guests interested in the program.
- Below: Our fifth Business Etiquette Dinner of the academic year. Thanks to our sponsors and table hosts!
- Below: Jim Desmond, Mayor of San Marcos, delivering the State of the City address on campus and highlighting the importance of the relationships with the local educational institutions to the development and growth of the city.
- If you have not seen them, check out our new options videos highlighting each of the departments, a definite improvement! Kudos to CoBA student Darlene Nacional who did the option videos as a special project for the college and to the faculty and students who agreed to be interviewed in them.
Celebrations of Success
- Exceptional performance by CoBA finance students who placed 4th at the San Diego CFA Institute research challenge! Special thanks to William Byun, CoBA Executive in Residence and Lecturer, for his leadership as the team advisor!
- Below and from left to right: Finance students Emily Larson, Lama Haddad, Noah Rabbani, Katherine Juan, and Nicole Sanford. These students sacrificed the entirety of their Holiday break, pulled quite a few all-nighters, and lost every weekend to do the best they could on a challenge no one required them to do.
- Congratulations to CoBA Advisory Board member Shawn Duffy (below), Senior VP and CFO of Viasat for receiving the CFO of the Year Award, Large Public Company from the San Diego Business Journal. In background left: Nels Jensen, Editor in Chief at San Diego Business Journal and CoBA Advisory Board member.
Faculty Spotlight – Beverlee Anderson
Beverlee currently serves as Professor Emerita of Business and Marketing in CoBA. What many people may not know is that she has held nearly every position in our college, including two separate stints as dean. Beverlee also served as a dean at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. She is active in many professional organizations and is past president of the Marketing Educators Association. She is a prolific researcher and collaborator and has authored and co-authored many papers and manuscripts in cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary business topics. She has taught and lectured in Mexico, Jordan, UK, and India and brings an international perspective to all her courses. But most importantly, Beverlee is a dynamic force in our college, always willing to help colleagues and new faculty.
Lecturer Spotlight – Tom Sennhauser
In keeping with our international faculty theme, Tom is a lecturer in Global Business Management. Before CSUSM, Tom exhibited broad management and turn-around experience in both public and private hi-tech companies. He has a strong operating background – funding, restructuring, strategic partnering, ROI focus, and scaling firms for growth and/or acquisition. He has significant multicultural (North America, Europe, Asia) and multilingual (English, German, French, and Swiss) experience. He brings that international experience into the classroom in a very effective way; he is highly regarded for the extraordinary measures to help and educate students.
Staff Spotlight – Jennifer Martin
Most of you know Jennifer as the hardworking Administrative Support Assistant to the departments of Accounting, MIS, and GSCM and Senior Experience. In addition to her competence, Jennifer is always willing to help where she can – a real team player. What you may not know is that she is a prolific hiker and accomplished sprint triathlete! Below: Jennifer celebrating her recent birthday.
Student Spotlight – Lilia Lopez
Lilia is a Marketing student who will be graduating this May and who was instrumental in establishing and running the Career Closet. Special thanks to assistant professor Rebeca Perren who provided invaluable guidance to Lilia. Below: Lilia (center), along with Ivanna Plata (left) and Vanessa Pina (right), all leaders in the Latino Business Student Association.
Volunteer Spotlight – Bob Rief
Bob is the Executive Director of San Diego Sport Innovators that help nurture young businesses in Sport and Active Lifestyle segment. Bob is an Executive in Residence in our BPD Program. Bob recently arranged for five senior executives to network with his BPD cohort; the students got to meet and talk with: Tony Finn, Founder of Wake Boarding; Monique Keefer, Chief Financial Officer, Surftech; Steve Lake, Co-Founder & former President of Sector 9 Skateboards; Marcus Valdivia, Sector 9 Skateboards; and Kirby Brady, Director of Research, SD Economic Development Corporation. Below: Photos from the networking event on campus.
Alumnus Spotlight – Sean Clayton
Sean is a 2014 COBA graduate of the Global Supply Chain Management option. He started as an Operations Team Lead at Amazon in 2015 and was recently promoted to Senior Program Manager, Worldwide Operations Integration at Amazon. Remember that name and this face: Sean Clayton.