Updates and Celebrations of Success
- Those of you who have been traveling this summer, welcome back! Many events are planned for the fall, make sure to check them out and add to your calendars! Paige Kepley has also put together a monthly events calendar. And be sure to RSVP for the 2018 CoBAcation at 11 am on Thursday, August 23. A change this year is that lunch will be provided after CoBAcation remarks.
- Congratulations to Accounting faculty member Syed Zaidi for the award of tenure and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor!
- Congratulations to Jolynn Zhou and her husband Kai who are expecting their first child in early December!
- Below: Recent graduates celebrating at the Summer 2018 SMBA Awards Banquet.
- Below: Mohammad, our SMBA Awards Banquet Master of Ceremonies, along with the recipients of the 2018 Graduate Teaching Excellence Awards, Glen Brodowsky, and William Byun. Congratulations to Glen and William and Outstanding Students Award winners Abbie Josephsen and Jonathan Hsu!
- Below: Graduation and Networking Event for the Certificate of Specialized Study in Water Management and Leadership.
- Below: Our CoBA Alumni chapter held its annual Summer Barbeque event.
- Below: Student Organization Leadership Retreat at the Green Dragon Tavern in Carlsbad, ably led by David Berry and Jill Laing.
- Please welcome May Martinez, our new Administrative Support Assistant for CoBA Advising. Maydeli is a CSUSM graduate in Human Development.
- We have Program Reviews scheduled for the BSBA (October 15-16) and MBA Programs (September 19-20) with external reviewers. Additionally, we are bringing in an AACSB Senior Examiner to informally review our progress toward AACSB accreditation (9/21). In the meantime, our AACSB Accreditation team continues to make good progress.
- Ed Ashley has started the Office of Business Research and Analysis, in conjunction with faculty in other colleges to offer a suite of research services for a fee to benefit small businesses and non-profit organizations. The Office unites faculty expertise with student researchers to produce business and economic analyses for the community. Some of our better-known and recent projects include:
- In for another day on training: Our nearly 27 Executives in Residence committed to teaching professional development and soft skills to over 500 incoming transfer students this fall.
- You can now buy tickets for the October 2nd fall 2018 Taste for Student Success!
- Below: Yvonne, Paige, and me on our annual National Ice Cream Day celebration. A small way to thank the staff across University for all the work they do for us!
Alumnus Spotlight –Izaac Villalobos
Izaac is a CoBA graduate, General Manager at Fallbrook Winery, and also Yvonne Villalobos’s cousin! Izaac is a very active member of the CoBA Alumni Chapter, serves on the Alumni Chapter’s Leadership team, and generously provides wine for many of our events. Read a little more about Izaac at Meet Izaac Villalobos of Fallbrook Winery. Remember that name and this face: Izaac Villalobos.